Early Intervention for Children
Between the ages of 0 and 6, children have the greatest capacity to learn new skills. At this vital stage it is very important to identify any delays or challenges your child might be having, and seek professional help. the Gateway Therapies team are particularly experienced with helping children with autism and other developmental delays. We use strategies proven to be effective and based on research evidence. Our approach is play-based and incorporates parent training to ensure that your child has the best chance of success.
About the Early Start Denver Model
Several of our therapists have undertaken (or are in the process of) training in the Early Start Denver Model. The Early Start Denver Model (ESDM) is a comprehensive, evidence-based, behavioural early intervention program for children with Autism. Developed by a trained multi-disciplinary team at the MIND Institute, ESDM integrates a relationship-focused developmental model with the well-validated practices of Applied Behaviour Analysis to provide an effective program for young children and their families.
The Early Start Denver Model is delivered by Certified Early Start Denver Model therapists.
We can see your family at home or at our clinic, however we prefer to see their child in their natural setting or where they typically spend the most amount of time. They are more likely to acquire important transferable skills, be the most comfortable, and be more responsive to therapy.
Best practice is that children under 6 receive a minimum of 15 hours of therapy per week. We know that is not always achievable, so will work with you to tailor a program that best fits your family’s needs. This may be a combination of one-on-one therapy, parent training, ‘home work’ and group therapy. We work collaboratively with your child’s existing health professionals and other care givers to ensure they benefit from a team approach.
Yes we are registered providers for NDIS and the Helping Children With Autism funding schemes.
Call us today to find out how we can achieve your child’s early intervention goals.
Occupational Therapy for Children
Occupational Therapists help people undertake daily living activities by helping them to develop specific skills, offering alternative ways of performing tasks, and modifying the environment or suggesting the use of modified or specially designed equipment. Therapists who work with kids, often focus on helping them to develop skills for play, school and self-care. Our therapists will also assist with managing difficult behaviours, managing emotional regulation or improving social skills.
Speech & Language Therapy for Children
Speech Therapists are allied health professionals trained to assist improve communication. This can be through language and verbal skills, use of communication aids, or by improving literacy skills. At Gateway Therapies, our Speech Therapists can help to improve expressive communication, help your child to find ways to share their thoughts and feelings with you, ask to have their wants and needs met, and engage in social interaction. Our therapists use a play based approach to ensure therapy is fun, exciting and effective.
How to choose the best Occupational Therapist for your child
Occupational Therapists practicing in Queensland must be registered with the Occupational Therapy Board of Australia. To be registered, OT’s must agree to participate in Ongoing Professional Development activities, and adhere to a strict set of guidelines that inform their practice. A university qualification must be obtained prior to being considered for registration. Many OT’s, including the team at Gateway Therapies, will undertake further training in specific treatment methods and become specialised in a particular field, such as Early Start Denver Model (ESD), Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) and others.
Not all therapists have the same level of experience or specific training to meet your child’s needs. It's important to be aware that not all therapy practices are the same. We encourage you to talk to our friendly team managers first, to discuss how our services may differ to other providers. When approaching an OT for help with your child, it’s important to ask questions up front about the service that will be provided and associated costs. At Gateway Therapies, we ensure our team are experienced and well-supported by senior clinicians to provide your child with the best quality and affordable therapy in Brisbane.
Questions to ask might include:
1. Are you registered with the OT Board of Australia?
2. What is your particular area of expertise or special interest area?
3. Do you have any training in specific interventions or strategies?
4. How long is an assessment and will more than one session be required to assess my child?
5. What is your assessment fee and does it include the cost of a comprehensive report?
6. How long are therapy sessions?
7. What will you be doing during therapy sessions?
8. What will the goals for therapy be and how will you monitor progress?
9. How often will therapy sessions occur?
10. What is the cost of each therapy session?
11. How will you be invoicing me and what are your payment terms?
12. Are you an approved provider for Medicare and any other funding schemes?
13. Do you know of any funding schemes we may be eligible for?
14. How will you decide when therapy sessions will be stopped?
15. Will you come to our home, and are you available to visit my child’s school or childcare centre?
16. Are you open to discussing my child’s progress and work collaboratively with my child’s teachers/ carers and other treating health professionals?
17. Can I be present during the assessment and subsequent therapy sessions?
18. Is it OK if my child’s siblings are present during sessions?
19. Will I be given ‘homework’ or exercises to undertake with my child between sessions?
20. What will you do if my child becomes upset or experiences a meltdown during sessions?
21. Are you able to be contacted in between sessions, and what is the best way to contact you?
Please contact us on 07 3398 9367 today to make an appointment or with any queries.